I guess first things first, things we forgot to mention last week...
On January 22nd two of our members ran in the Parker Tools Caterbury 10 mile organised by the Invicta East Kent Athletics Club. Ominously Ian was wearing the race number 666! Both cruised round completing it in 1:18:29 and 1:21:27. I'll leave you guys to guess who finished first out of the two. With Thom well through his marathon training plan it's looking like a very good year for him.
On 29th January one of our members, Gary, headed to Charlton Lido for the Snowflake Swim (https://www.demelza.org.uk/…/challeng…/detail/snowflake-swim) in support of Demezla. The plan was to swim 1km but in the end he put in a sterling effort and cracked on with a 2.5km swim despite the heavy rain and exceeding his charity donation expectations. The event was extremely well organised and is definitely on the list of potentials for next year. If you would like to donate to add to Gary's donation total then head to https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Gary-Fissenden1 , he'll very much appreciate it.
Now, on to this week...
I'm going to "skip" over the usual courses and just say:
- Our Tuesday night club swim was great fun, tough on the shoulders and with a few drills that got us some strange looks as we clambered out of the pool and walked back down the side.
- Our Wednesday night club run saw the guys cruching the hill sprints again. We even got a video this time round!
- Our Thursday night beginners run session got going with some endurance work and we talked a lot about recovery and the benfits of foam rollers. The guys on the course are doing really well and it's always great to see them making superb strides (pun intended) in their training.
- The Friday night swim beginners swim sessions are also going great. I need to pop along at some point to see the guys but all I hear is stories of them crushing their drills and making big strokes in their abilities so I'm a little scared.
- The social ride on Saturday was another Ride-Run-Ride over at the Whitstable parkrun. The weather was miserable but the spirits we're high. It was a great ride along to Whitstable, wind-free making it even better! Then it was the lollipop route for the run, muddy good fun, one member just missing a PB by a second, another member (me, Daniel, woohoo) smashing his 5km PB by just under a minute and everyone having very cold hands! Of course the ride back involved a stop for coffee and cake/bacon.
So, what else have we been doing?
Our friendly competition started in our Garmin group. 6 days in and there's a clear leader in the swim and the run disciplines (the target on her back is getting a lot bigger!) but the bike is a lot closer, pretty much neck and neck.
We've had a couple of brithdays, please stand up Jeni and Peter.
We had our first Swale Tri Club International Competitor!! David is off on his jollies (working in the US) and took part in the Interlaken Icicle Dash in Seattle (I'm not jealous at all). [RACE REPORT]: Interlaken Icicle Dash. A 10k trail run in Seattle. Little bit of everything; out and back along a paved road, then climbing into the woods with a mixture of stairs and muddy slopes (although nothing as bad as the 666 in Kings Wood!), then descending back to the road for the finish. A 2.5k loop covered four times. Unfortunately I went over on my ankle at the dead turn on the second lap (slipped on a tree root.) I ran through it, but it's sore now. Getting some RICE on it now. So a slightly challenging morning. [END REPORT] Well done fella!
We're also starting to settle on races for the year. Our club championship is at the front of the queue with the first race being the Maidstone Standard Duathlon. Some of the guys are coming back from injury or just starting out on their duathlon/triathlon journey so they'll be picking up the Sprint distance. For the rest of the year there's a big fat mix of events ranging from Super Sprints to Marathons to Adventure Tris (MTB and Trail) to Adventure Races (Coast to Coast) to half-ironmans so you're likely to see a lot of us out and about at various events.
All in all a great week that included new members joining the club, people smashing their goals and just so much fun it's rediculous.
Onwards to next week!